I watched this film a couple of weeks ago now so this will be a short five point summary rather than a full-blown analysis…
1. The film is good. The overarching plot is gripping and encompasses several themes; love, war, friendship, poverty, celebrity, the brutality of human nature etc. In short it’s a high quality melting pot; a hybrid of awesomeness, if you will.
2. The characters are interesting. Protagonist Katniss Everdeen, played by the smokin’ hot Jennifer Lawrence, is seriously cool. I now want to learn how to use a bow and arrow. And speaking of hotties, Liam Hemsworth is super fine also. Must run in the family.
3. The Hunger Games contains an explosive cocktail of historical, cultural and literary influences. If you like Gladiator, Nineteen Eighty-Four, Lord of the Flies, The Truman Show or Big Brother, then you will probably like this film.
4. The Hunger Games makes you think, which I didn’t really expect. Then again, given that the film is set in a post-apocalyptic dystopia, it’s hardly surprising that it gives you so much food for thought.
5. And finally, The Hunger Games, as the title may suggest, is EXCITING. Its action-packed, prey-hunting scenes are reminiscent of Jurassic Park (I & II, obv, the third one sucked) while the awesome graphics, wicked outfits and cool sci-fi shiz are all a delight to watch.
Summary: Go see the film, immediately if not sooner.